I'm only seven weeks late, but I wanted to get Ellianna's birth story in writing so I wouldn't forget a single, dramatic detail. I realized my blog went from: I'm at 35 weeks in the hospital on bedrest, I might have to have a c-section next week to: Here's Ellianna!
Obviously, I didn't make it very far in to the next week. Despite bag after bag of IV fluids, my levels didn't improve. Here we are hanging out at the hospital:

Noah was
such a good boy at the hospital, so sweet, he knew
something was going on. He and Brandon came up to see me twice a day and he loved it. Brandon packed toys and DVD's for him and he thought it was a great getaway. We also entertained him with rubber hospital gloves:

My doctor came in on Monday morning, September 14th and suggested that we do the c-section
that day at noon! WHAT?! I was in denial. I kind of thought they'd just let me sit in the hospital hooked up to monitors until I was at least 36 weeks.
I had so many emotions and thoughts running through my head. I was excited to finally meet the active little girl who'd been practicing for drill team in my tummy, I was worried that she wasn't ready and would have to spend time in an isolette. I was scared about the c-section. I was sad because this was probably my last pregnancy and I wasn't ready for it to be over or finished wearing maternity clothes (crazy, right?). I was so nervous. I just turned on the iPod and started reading Psalms.
My breakfast had just arrived and they took it away. I was starving and thirsty, but not allowed to eat or drink anything. I called Brandon, he had to scramble to find someone to come over and watch Noah. Noah woke up with a cold on Sunday morning so it wasn't that easy, we couldn't call anyone with kids. One of Brandon's co-workers was able to leave work and come watch Noah. Brandon arrived around 10:30a.
I called my parents who (thank goodness!) had driven from Tulsa to Dallas the night before. They were on their way to help out with Noah while I was on bedrest (or so they thought). They were already on the road Monday morning when I called them with the news. My stickler-for-the-rules-law-abiding-dad broke a few speed limits, I'm sure, but they arrived five minutes before I had to go in to surgery. The nurses wheeled me out, the parents went home to take over Noah-sitting duties.
It was not a fun feeling sitting under the bright lights in the cold operating room by myself while the nurses counted out towels, gauze, suture scissors, scalpels, drapes...bleck!! I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it! I'll skip the gory details. Let's just say I don't recommend it.
I'll jump to the best part, when I heard that itty-bitty baby girl let out a loud cry! They brought her over and showed her to me, it was awesome! 


Then they doped me up on Magnesium Sulfate (my blood pressure got kind of high) so the first day is a bit blurry for me. It sure wasn't the way I planned it. I kept reminding myself of Proverbs 19:21, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it's the LORD's purpose that prevails"
Here's our sweet, tiny girl with her daddy:
Tiny toes:

Going home four days later! Amazing.

This is the first picture of brother and sister together. When he saw her, he said things like, "she's tiny!" "she's cute!" "she's born!"

Since Noah had a cold, we couldn't let him come to the room to visit Ellianna. That was tough. I so wanted him to be able to come to the hospital and meet her and be involved in everything. I didn't get the obligatory picture of big brother on the hospital bed with mommy and baby sister. I had gifts for him from her that were perfect to keep him entertained at the hospital. It was so hard to be away from him for so long, but I knew he was in good hands. It was so hard for him to understand why we were hanging out at the hospital so long. He did get to come see her, but did get to look at her through the glass in the nursery.
I don't have enough words to express how thankful I am for all the prayers that were said for our baby girl and how grateful I am for God's hand in all situations!
Who's the amazing woman posting her birth story two days after she returns home from a week in OK? oh ya, my bestie heather! you are awesome. you show me up on a daily basis :) i was so proud of you through all that and the Lord was so glorified by the peace you exhibited through it all. Love you!
ReplyDelete